Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Using the Internet to Enhance Learning

I am in the mist of summer one classes, and the pace is fast and furious. I'm taking two courses, am on the computer at least three hours a day, and driving an hour to class Monday through Wednesday...my daughter misses her mother!
One of the courses I'm taking is an online course of Applications of Technology. Let me just tell you, I am quite a novice to all the computer business. Sure, I have a Facebook page, can use Office applications, and am now a blogger (thanks to this class), but as a classroom teacher, my technology usage has been a bit shallow. We do things like PowerPoint, use the Smart Board, and use math software like JIJI. I would really like to utilize the Internet more to enhance and excite my teaching.
I would like to share some ideas to enhance learning with the internet whether it be in the classroom or in the Library.

Book Clubs and Fan Fiction – I recently heard Debra Marshall, a school librarian in Coppell ISD speak about her library program. She has a book club for all grades, K-5 !
How awesome is that! How could you enhance a book club with the internet? How about using the format of Fan Fiction? You can share some appropriate stories form FanFiction.net, students can write a story that goes along with the book, and post it on the internet. Sadly, students have to be 13 years old to post on
http://www.FanFiction.net , and other fan fiction sites, but a librarian or teacher can use NVU, a program to create a website, and post the students’ fan fiction on the website. How exciting would your students be to see their stories published on the internet?

Use TrackStar- http://trackstar.4teachers.org/ is a website available for educators to design online lessons and activities. A librarian can put together websites for research, or lessons on Information Literacy. Check out this trackStar for an example.

Research Favorite Authors- Teach using a search engine by researching favorite authors. Most authors have websites with personal information. Have a scavenger hunt of facts about authors. What inspired them to write? Where do they live? How many books have they written? Do they have pets? Students are always surprised and delighted when they find out personal information about their favorite author.


As a technology student, I have a secret for all those technology novices, It's not as hard as it seems! I have squealed in delight when I try to do something new (NVU, TrackStar, blog) and it works! These ideas are free, easy to use, and are sure to excite students.

1 comment:

  1. You can absolutely count on excited students if engaging, user-friendly, interactive technology becomes part of the learning process for your kids!

    ReplyDelete