Sunday, August 2, 2009

Thing 15

Library 2.0
The last time I was in college before this past spring was 1999. When I went back to school to start working on my Masters degree I was astonished at how vast the use of computer technology in universities had changed... all thanks to web 2.0. I can now take complete courses online, hold conversations with fellow classmates across town, and do all my research... without ever leaving my house.
Library 2.0 means to bring this same type of ease and convenience of learning, networking, and access of information to its patrons. Its all about meeting the needs of the patrons in their space.
What does this mean for elementary libraries? Well, what are the needs of elementary students?
They too need ease and convenience, networking, and access of information. Can they access databases from home? Is there somewhere they can go to online to ask questions about homework? Can they collaborate with other students outside of school? Can they access all the information they have at school at home?
When I read about the future of libraries, I often think of the library's past, and how things come in full circle. I think that Ranganathan's laws particularly go well with Library 2.0:the library is always growing and changing with the times, the library saves the user time (especially in todays world), the reader his book (whether on a Kindle, Ipod, CD or old school),
every book its reader, (freedom to access of all information, print and digital), and books (information) is for use.
Why have a library surrounded by all this marvelous new technology and not use it and make the best of it for our patrons?

No comments:

Post a Comment